Wednesday, January 11, 2012

a quiet moment, finally

I sit in my living room on the 23rd floor of a 25 year old high rise apartment building. It is large. 2200 sq ft. 4 bedrooms (one must be a maid's- it is pretty awful). The apartment itself is old, old bathrooms, ancient kitchen, very tired in places. But the apartment is light, bright, breezy and has a  huge balcony, 20 feet deep, in a funny shape, wide at the sliding doors, pinches in after about 8' to a "bridge" of 6X6, and then to an end area, wide area about 12' wide and 8' deep. I await our outdoor furniture. I am excited. Black "wicker" with white canvas pillows; two love seats and a coffee table/seat, and a table and 4 chairs. One group out at the end, the other closer to the sliding doors. If like at Norm's we will live out there. There is a lovely breeze most of the time, and I see, at 3p.m. the end "bulge" is in some sun. I look forward to getting some huge tree/plants to stick out there. I have seen bougenvelia (sp?), orange trees, all those plants we have back home as house plants, and of course palm. There is a nursery near by and when the furniture is in I will head over there. At Norm's we never sat at his table inside so I may make the dining area a yoga space and forget a dining table and chairs. We will see.
It seems most days are overcast. Which is fine by me. No blinding hot sun, no suncream, no sunglasses. It often rains a bit in the mid day, but things dry quickly. I don't get it,  the humidity is so high, but things do dry. I am doing a laundry, and do not have a dryer. I will put the clothes on a laundry tree in the 4th bedroom and most things will be dry in a day. I could put them out on the balcony and they would dry very quickly (hours) but I prefer to not look at laundry.
We leave the windows open, we have windows facing all 4 ways. It makes for a little more stuff blowing around, but I love the sea breeze. It is about 27' and a breeze. Pretty easy to take. At night, we close up our bedroom, put the AC on, I sleep under a very light eiderdown, and Tim is happy with the AC. I have ordered blackout curtains to be installed next week for Tim. We have two 8' windows, east and south, so when he starts doing overnights and coming home in the a.m. to sleep we will need the blackout room. That was amazing. I googled "blackout curtains singapore" and in 1/2 an hour a guy was here measuring. When it works, it really works.
I still have my pain. It seems to be more at night the muscles tighten and in the morning I am a mess, then it loosens up over the day (a bit). I had a massage yesterday. I go downstairs, in our complex here, I can see the place from my balcony, and S$60 ($45?) I got a 90 minute fabulous massage. They are very knowledgeable, and man do they have fingers of steel.
Tim (and Rod) are at school. Long days- 9 to 6, every day, with an exam Friday morning, and classes aft and evening after! Then the weekend off to study more. Of course they know how to fly, but it is important that in the cockpit, they all have the same philosophy, talk the same talk,  and do things the same way. For Tim, he will have to forget the AC way, and make new Tiger habits. It is hard work for these guys, but when they get on the line, and are flying to new and exciting destinations, in all new weather conditions, they will be happy. And privileges for me, you ask. That happens after 6 months. Not sure what they are. But flying here is pretty inexpensive, so I'm not took worried.
I have planned to go to Chiang Mai as my first foray. A friend from Toronto is going to be visiting her son there, and I have a nephew (cousin's son actually) who is there with his family, teaching at the International school. But I feel my first priority is to make a nest for Tim. Get this place working smoothly for him.
And with IKEA back ordered that might be a bit yet.
I went to IKEA today but could only get so much- these damn arms. Kitchen stuff, ironing board, closet storage, stuff. Awaiting 2 LR chairs. And have to get a dresser and bed tables for us. It will happen.
I miss so much,a my friends and family from home. I have set up Skype and that sure helps. I am planning to Skype my book club tomorrow. 9am Fri will be 8 pm in TO, and I hope to say hello to all there. Hope it works. I can not believe Skype. I have had 1/2 hour conversations and it is FREE. Yahoo.
Well, off  now to READ. I am almost finished the book I was reading when I came. The Piano Man's Daughter, Timothy Findlay. Wonderful. Haven't seen any book stores yet. Will get my iPad going with e-reader books.  My kids laughed at all the "apple" I bought. I think they think it is wasted on me. Alex said I had an apple orchard. But my e-reader will be very important to me with just a few pages of my book left. And then I will read the National Geographic cover on twins. And get my outdoor furniture!!

No comments:

Post a Comment