Tuesday, January 17, 2012

oh these damn sunny days

OMG the weather has changed. The sun has been shining for days. Lovely, you say. Not so I say. That means greasy sun cream, fumbling with sun glasses, but most, the temperature is in the 30's. And the breeze has gone. So it is stinking hot. I heard today that this is the beginning of the warm weather. Crickies, it is January. I know we are close to the equator, but the thought of it getting hotter over the next SEVEN months. Of course the humidity remains very high. It is like Southern Ontario last summer. But that was for a few weeks. Yikes. I might have to close up the apartment and put on the AC.
I see that our balcony is in sun on a sunny day. Overcast days we can be out any time. Sunny days we will pick and chose when it is shade.
I am sitting here waiting for the black out vinyls to be installed. Tim is over at Rod's studying. I listen to a classical station here. I don't often listen to the radio at home, but it is company here. Few real classics and a lot of light classics, the "schlock" I used to grind out for "pops" concerts. There's a reason it is not "classic". But it is company.
I was going to try to put together some IKEA stuff, but gave up in frustration. My hands and fingers just don't work. I keep complaining about my broken down body. I don't want to whinge. Well actually I would like to, so here goes. It seems the day the house closed in Toronto, my body said "okay NOW STOP". My shoulders and back went in to a complete spasm. In Vernon, I was a mess. No skiing, in excruciating pain over Christmas. It was truly awful. After all the holidays I got to a physio 3 times, and a RMT 3 times. A little headway was made, but then 22 hours of flying, carrying suitcases (way too many) and then setting up here, shopping, cleaning (a very dirty apartment). I have tried to be good, not do too much, and  rest, but it is all driving me crazy. I was assured in BC that it is not frozen shoulder, or fibromyalgia, but what ever it is is taking it's time leaving. At this point the legs, and back are better, but my hand and  wrists ache. It feels like broken bones. Not joints per say. It is a mystery. But enough already.
The upside is I am doing TCM. Our expenses are high, and there is no pay check for a while, so I hate spending the money, but I have to. The reflexology is wonderful. Well sort of. It kills. A traditional Chinese "hospital". Open to the street, big lazy boy chairs lined up, with a remote to have it recline. I have a 20 minute soak and 40 minute session for S$35 (C$25?) They bring a half wooden barrel, lined with a plastic bag filled with warm water. You soak for 20 minutes. Then the person comes to find every bone in the bottom of your feet, and press against it until you wince, and they smile and say "sorry so sorry"with a smile on their face. I thought I had padding on the bottom of my feet, but there seems to be none as they work. But I do feel better after they stop hurting me. It is neat to be in a very traditional place, and I have always loved TCM at home. So it is an experience that is pleasure/pain.
Chinese New Year is this weekend. The year of the dragon. It is huge here. Big family time. Extended family travels from afar, to celebrate together once a year. (Like the Americans) Stores will close for 2-5 days. Am trying to stock up on a bit of food, although the hawkers at our complex will stay open. Their food is fabulous, but the amount of oil in every dish, I do not want to know. But it will keep us going over this weekend. We really must get down to Chinatown this weekend. The stores are crazy busy, the taxis hard to find (to wait 1/2 hour for a cab these days seems to be it). Cabbies are not working, but home getting ready for the big weekend. Not sure what we will do to celebrate.
I have met a young woman here. When I had a pedicure I chatted with the woman next to me. A gorgeous, I thought Indian, woman from Bangladesh. Maybe 25-30. She is with Standard Charter Bank, a big Asian bank. She came on a business trip, fell in love with Singapore, and wrangled a transfer here. She has been here a month, is in our complex, and we exchanged tel #. She is dying to meet pilots. (Pilots are a big deal here). She has hardly anything in her apartment. A bed, A single futon as a chair, a table with 2 chairs, and nothing in her kitchen. She gets her coffee downstairs, eats every meal out. She doesn't know how to cook. In Bangladesh, they have a maid who does all the cooking, and her mother has said she will learn when she has to. Her parents will come in Feb and stock her kitchen, and furnish her place. I do not think like this when I think of Bangladesh. It will be interesting to get to know her. Farzana.
I get emails from you that are reading this blog. Thank you. I sit here, talking to you, and wonder if you are listening. Thank you for letting me know you are out there. It is really good to know.
I am having trouble grieving Mom. There is nothing of hers around (I have some of her winter clothes- they are not here!), everything is so unfamiliar, no one to talk with about her. It is very difficult.  Not sure how to work this one through. I think of her, and am glad she knew we were coming. I imagine someone reading these blogs to her.
Well the curtains are up. I am going to go for a swim!

2 comments:

  1. It's so humbling when you try to (have to!) push through pain and your body just can't come up with it. It's great you can get it addressed so conveniently, if not comfortably - hope it gets less tortuous over time.

    Maybe try writing about your mom? I wrote short essays about my brother for a few months when I still didn't feel better after nearly 30 years of grieving and it really helped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. careful what you complain about (temperature). Vernon is - 20 again today and here for another day. we did snowshoe yesterday and actually I was quite warm, warm enough to undo my jacket zipper and take my neck warmer off !!! Yes, ME!! Think I will cocoon it today, though.
    I am sure you are going to meet some very interested people over the next few months. That will be fun. Nice to talk to you about non strata things. :-)

    ReplyDelete