Tuesday, January 7, 2014

SSO

I think I have said how good the orchestra is here. It is fabulous. The concert hall has glorious acoustics. The seating is grand. I love going to concerts.

They are doing a Richard Strauss festival- 150 year anniversary of birth. He is one of my favourite composers. When people ask who is my favourite composer. I have to qualify. J. S. Bach is all time favourite to play and to listen to, impressionists are a favourite to listen to, and Richard Strauss a  favourite to play. We bass players say it is a mitt full. Excerpts of his music are always on auditions. We say if you were paid by the note you want to play Strauss. As bass players what he asked for is very demanding.

So the SSO is doing Strauss for four weeks. I bought tickets for three of the four concerts, knowing I was away for one (Tim's holidays). Then it looked like I was going to BC for a meeting and would miss two concerts. So I sold the tickets to a friend.

Then my trip to BC was cancelled. There I am without tickets for these concerts. So I have bought another single to go with my friend who bought mine. I was there for a concert last Saturday. Heldenleben. Fantastic. Oh I love the music, I love the playing, and I love the hall. One happy camper.

When I got to the hall I saw who I thought was a bass player from the orchestra. So I went up and asked. Yes. So I was happy to introduce myself, and tell her how much I enjoyed the concerts. I would love if I could go out for a beer with the guys in the section. But alas. No.

I heard the best radio program last night. BBC World I have on all the time. Like CBC there is a lot of repeat plays of programs, an awful lot of football talk. But lots of info on Africa, Middle East, and not filled with US news. And wonderful documentaries.

Last night they did a documentary on twins. I being one, I found it fabulous. So  I have downloaded the podcast. I wonder if I will continue listening to BBC when I get home.

Tim and I are putting together our next trip. He has 12 days second half of January. We are going to go to Ubud Indonesia. I for the third time. I went with Elizabeth, at her request., last year this time.  I would not have known anything about it, but she had studied it at uni in anthropology. It is a beautiful city, on Bali, in Indonesia. It is soft, artsy, a yoga and meditation mecca, lovely. I went again with my friend Gwen. Saw the Green School that trip. Tim thought it sounded interesting, so he wants to go. I am very happy to go for a third time. I always see it so differently very visit.

Then we will go to Palawan,  Philippines. Palawan is an island off the west coast from Manilla. It is supposed to be the most amazing diving. So we will spend a week, staying at different places on the island.

Tim gave his notice today!!!!!!!!!  He will retire April 25. I am excited, and I know he is ready. It is just the right time. He said he feels like Pierre Trudeau, who apparently said I have the best job in Canada but it is time to retire. Tim loves his flying, but he is ready to go. He is a lucky lucky man to orchestrate his retirement when he wants to go.

That puts me in the home stretch. I do not want to wish away what the next 4 months bring, but I sure am dreaming a lot about Muskoka, and swimming at the lake, and sitting by the fire, and wearing socks and sweaters, and a scarf even.







No comments:

Post a Comment