Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Out of order

This trip report will be out of order. I am sitting at breakfast, alone, because Tim got up for a 7am dive. I am taking a leisurely breakfast because I will do an island hop at 9:30.
This is quite some place. We are on an island off shore of the island Palawan. I will tell you about our four days in Puerto Princess next post. I sit here in this glorious place and have to share it. as in the book I just finished, Amber Road, then you have double happiness. Mine and yours. I only wish I could attach photos. I will try but have never done so from my iPad.
We arrived at the ferry dock and there was no signage to match the directions we had been given. Nobody seemed to know anything. It was pouring a torrential rain. We were wet. All was well when a "greeter" from the resort arrived.
Our taxi across arrived. A combination boat. Hull like the typical outrigger. What a perfect design for the big water. Those outriggers are put to use with every wave. The cabin was wood, painted and reminded me of a Muskoa steam boat. Big windows. It was pouring rain. W were outfitted in a huge yellow cape, and then asked to put on a life jacket. Needless to say, under the cape. That was cute, putting it on under the cape. It was very slippery getting on the boat. I realize every time we have a transfer like this, that I could not have done it last year. I am so grateful whatever it was has gone.
The crossing was an hour and a half. We could see the island in the misty rain. It didn't seem that far away.
We arrived to a musical welcome. The staff was at the wharf. Singing a Palwan welcome, with instruments too. A necklace of woven grass, an intro on their Eco practices, garbage bags for biodegradable, and non, quite precise. Good to see. There can be such obvious waste at big resorts.
We have a water cottage, a room over the sea, on stilts. We look down at crystal clear water, with fish swimming (saw a gorgeous turquoise green 6" fish and will see baby sharks)
The room is not big, but very nicely furnished, and from our little porch we can watch sunrise and sunset.
That is when the sun comes out. There is a thin cloud cover. Weather is a perfect 75'. With full sun it would be way hotter, so I am happy. But sun and blue sky would give us turquoise water. The water is so clear the visibility is still good, even with the overcast.
The food is wonderful. So much for some restraint this week. This eating out means we eat more. Buffets are deadly. And really no exercise. Long ride in the van yesterday.
I am going to go back to my room and do some stretches before getting signed up on the island hop. To two island beaches for snorkeling
The resort is set in a bay, the outer edges being steep high limestone outcroppings, the innards of the bay white powder sand. Once here, most everything is gratis. Food, some water sport, snorkeling, rental of equipment. Dives are extra. There is sailing, kayaking, windsurfing, rappelling, hiking. It is low tide now so the beach is less than glorious but at high tide it is white powder. There is a pool and a spa, no just massage. Only massage, oh suffer me.
Off to cover in sun cream and off to island hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment