Monday, August 6, 2012

I am one happy camper

I am sitting at Bala Southwinds.
Mom's Celebration of Life was yesterday. It was perfect. I put the weather in Mom's hands. Well, the probs were 80% chance of thunderstorms.
We had a little service at the grave site. She was inexperienced, after all it was her first,  and had to do a little tweaking. We had some of the morning's rain blow on some of us during the service. No big deal. But she got the hang of it and our party at the house was perfection. Muskoka royal blue sky, cooling breeze off the lake.
At the site, we put her in the ground and we all could put a handful of dirt in to her. Well, we number 50, just Mom's children and off-spring. The great grand kids apprehensively approached and did their thing. The cemetery guy didn't show to finish the job, so my dear brother-in-law, David Sherk, whipped home to get a shovel. But he also picked up a crossword puzzle, and a sharpened pencil with a good eraser, and a jigsaw puzzle to put in with Mom. (She did both endlessly.)  So sweet, Dave. The great grandkids got the idea of covering GG and we really didn't need the shovel. Mom was smiling down. It was truly lovely.
Then there must have been 100 friends and family come to the house for the afternoon, and we served supper to those still there later. Beef in a bun, Mom's fav, and my chocolate cake which she loved. Taking the 2 hour drive from TO, and from further afield, were friends from high school, from the orchestra, friends from book club, from my  whole life. It was perfect timing for me to see these near and dear, having felt so far away from EVERYTHING for the last 7 months. It was glorious.
Then of course I had the weekend with my chickadees, and their partners and saw ALL my sibs and family. What a perfect weekend.
Tomorrow the sale of Mom's home becomes final and Southwinds changes hands. It is packed with emotion for me, and I am sure for my sibs. I am so excited, of course, but it also confirms things have changed and we move on to a new life without Mom. This place is so packed with memories of a life time, but particularly the last two years looking after Mom. Bittersweet it is.
I am  having a wonderful time, being with people who are so important to me. That is what life is all about. Singapore is great, the adventure is great, but this is where it is at. 1 1/2 years to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment