Monday, July 2, 2012

I thought the journey was the destination

Sitting in the cafe of a very posh marina awaiting our transfer to our hotel on the island of Koh Phi Phi. It is a rainy day, and if too rough we will take the commercial ferry, but so far looks like the speed boat will work. A one hour ride in the speed boat, two in the ferry. Out in to the Andaman Sea, which stretches over to India if we kept going! I just hope it is not rough water. One hour of rough water! Ugh. But before the weekend in Koh Phi Phi, I want to tell you about the Symphony. Tim was working Friday night so I looked to see what the symphony was doing. Night in Vienna. I thought an evening of Lehar and Strauss waltzes. I'm glad I looked at the program! Mozart Piano Concerto 14 and Bruckner 8. Not exactly lite fare!! So I zipped downtown and went. The orchestra is wonderful! The Bruckner calls for a huge cast of thousands. Well not thousands, but augmented numbers. Alphorns, all sorts of brass. and the strings, and of course the basses play their hearts out. For eighty 80 minutes! It is a marathon for the players and the listeners. Interesting, I expected many caucasian players. Not many at all, maybe half a dozen and several of them looked northern European, Baltic, whatever. To see Asians all playing these Alphorns, so not Asian instruments. But then why not. The hall is gorgeous. Sounds fantastic. Is so kind to the basses. I've rarely heard such a rich bass sound. It's beautiful all wood (Unlike Thomson Hall poured concrete) and beautiful. I loved it so much, I have joined "Friends of the Symphony". Why I am going to be friends with everybody!!! Friend of the Museums, Friend of the Symphony. I have to say I am enjoying being free to go where I want when I want. And such wonderful choices here. Something else to tell you about. Saturday night our date was to go to evening mass and dinner out downtown. So we went to a very old beautiful Carmelite Church downtown. At the end of the mass, I sitting on the aisle, had someone tap my shoulder. IT WAS SOMEONE I KNEW!!!! To bump into someone I know in a crowd just thrilled me. It was my physiotherapist! Actually it has happened now thre times. A friend/neighbour from in our building downtown, and a pilot I had met on the bus. Now in a city of five million it is thrilling. I think I am settling in!!!! It is getting lighter out and the rain has stopped. Off to Phi Phi!

1 comment:

  1. I know that feeling. Got it after a short time in Vernon.

    ReplyDelete