Monday, July 9, 2012

I don't get it

I think I have said that before.
It is summer here. We are just above the equator. Just. It should be hot. I only whispered that, though. Be careful what you say!
This is the nicest weather we have had since arriving in January. (OR I am now used to it!)
It is a lovely 26' in the LR with the ceiling fan going. It is like a breezy perfect day at the lake. Now the humidity reads 72% which for here is low. (The laundry on my clothes horse dries in a day in 72%.)
It really is glorious.
I have come a long way, eh?
I thought I would try to describe some little things of my day that might be different to back home.
In the morning we leave our air conditioned room and step in to the apartment that has not been ac'd. It might be very hot and humid. But I go to the LR and  open wide our sliding doors. We have 2 sets. 3 panels wide each. So two panels open which  makes for big openings to the balcony. It seems at this time of year we have quite a breeze across our balcony. Which is wonderful. The apartment is filled with a lovely 25' breeze. I must say, as well, filled with  the inevitable dirty air of a city of 5 million. Our tile floors get filthy, and I could dust the floors, but instead just run in to the shower and rub my feet clean on the wet tile floor. I do that many times a day!
I turn on the radio to BBC news. It is great to get news of the world. More than just the U.S. election. In fact none of that. Instead Africa, Europe, Greece....
An interesting anecdote. I hope I am not repeating myself on this one. I received an email from Elizabeth that she was going to a concert in TO. I should listen to the band on this link she gave me. I did. Then I  turned on the radio and Toronto made the World News BBC. The stage had collapsed at the ACC Centre. I emailed Elizabeth to ask if she was alright. She answered back yes. This all happened within an hour! From her email, to the news, to her answer back. I didn't feel SO far away right then.
After breakfast I either go to yoga or physio, or the gym. The gym is in our complex. It is good. It is AC'd to about 22'. It has everything I need. Treadmill, bikes, ellipticals, mats, machines etc. It also has a doodad that you stand on the scales. It reads your weight, computes your weight without clothes, you enter your age, sex, height, amount of exercise you do (1 hr, 2 hr, 3 hr a day!) and it pumps out your BMI, % water, muscle fat, and your metabolic rate. It is a great measurement, and a carrot for me. I am very curious every time I go.
I've talked of the yoga studio. It is fantastic. I go to yin or restorative classes. Also pilates now.They have the walls filled with wonderful art. They have an honour system library. Bring a book, take a book. I took a book in to the shelves, then realized I was leading it for my book club when I get home in August! It has been taken out. I check regularly to see if it has returned. Maybe I will be leading without having a copy of the book! They offer retreats. I have signed up for a day retreat in Singapore next September. More about that later. And a week long retreat in Lombok Indonesia in October. The location is supposed to be out of this world. I'll let you know.
If I grocery shop, I take a bus to a mall. I then take a cab home with the groceries. Cabs are inexpensive, (S$ 6.00). I try to get a lot in our little store here in the complex. It is like a 7/11, but amazing what it carries, and the prices are competitive. I have discovered a on-line delivery that is free if you order over $50. That is easy to do with canned goods, etc.
I am getting very used to taking cabs. Remind myself, that a car really is a luxury. And here to have a car, first you have to drive on the left/wrong side of the road. And you pay a huge fee to own a car - like $30,000. To drive on the wrong side of the road? I don't think so.
We are off to Ho Chi Minh City on Wednesday. A city trip. Tim's first. I did Chiang Mai way back in February.
18 days to home. But who's counting





No comments:

Post a Comment