Thursday, December 19, 2013

oh my, off again. Langkawi, Malaysia

We are off for the weekend to Langkawi. It is an island up the far north west corner of Malaysia. That would be just south of Thailand and facing west to the Andaman Sea. On a clear day, a really clear day, you might see India.

So Malaysia 101.
It consists of the peninsula south of Thailand, of which the island at the very tip is Singapore. The northern border is Thailand. Singapore is the south. But across the strait from Singapore to the south are two Malaysian states, Borneo , and Sabah., 240k to the east across the China Sea. We are going to the northern most state of Kedah, to the island of Langkawi.The population is Bumiputera (souls of the soil) (indigenous, aboriginal) Malay, Chinese, Indian, Arab, and Eurasians. The state religion is Islam.

We have been to Malaysia before. We went to Georgetown on the island of Penang. We went back with the kids last Christmas. I have been to Sarawak, Kuching, and Sabah. Langkawi is supposed to be fabulous for snorkelling and diving. It is a duty-free zone. Since 1990 the government has groomed this area as a tourist destination.  It is known for it's wide, long, white sand beaches, and clear water. When we first arrived in Singapore, a friend sent an attachment to "10 most dangerous bridges" - one being on Langkawi. I certainly hope to suss it out. Apparently you take a cable car ride to the top of one mountain, and there is a bridge joining it to other peaks of other mountains. I sure hope I can find it.

We plan to meet Rod and Nancy for dinner there! They happen to be going to the same place as we. It will be fun to hook up out of town.

So I hope to report on the bridge, and amazing fish and coral. I will toast you all as the sun sets across the Andaman Sea, and Indian Ocean. I will think of you as I cover myself with suncream, to head out snorkelling in the hot equatorial sun. I'd better stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment