Friday, December 13, 2013

a lovely birthday

I had a lovely birthday. It is always so wonderful to see where I am compared to last year. Like I can survive a birthday away from my kids. And actually have fun, and be happy. I am such a sap.

Had a great evening of the 12th. Tim was off, and I said I wanted to go meet an author at this amazing book store down on Orchard Road. The way I learned of it, I love. I have this friends here, Clare. She is the wife of my osteopath and runs the office. While waiting for my appointment we chat. Early on in my stay here I was saying I didn't know where to begin to go travelling. She promptly emailed me a 2 page list of where to go, what hotels to stay at, what tours to do. A goldmine of information.

The other day I was there and talk turned to books. I mentioned that I had read The Garden of Evening Mists, loved it, and led it for my book club (which I join with almost perfect attendance by Skype the next morning of their meeting) What?? Yes, they meet Tuesday night, I sign in with them Wednesday morning. Yup.

So within the hour she had sent me a list of wonderful sounding books about Asia. And information on a Meet the Author with Tan Twan Eng, author of my book, the next night. I was thrilled to meet him, as you can see.




I got a signed copy of his first book The Gift of Rain. It was a great evening. Then I suggested to Tim a restaurant for sushi after. It took us ages to find this particular restaurant, and it turned out to be very high end. $200. So I said thanks, that is my birthday dinner. (It being the night before my birthday)

So the next night we went to a movie downtown (Chinese Puzzle - terrific movie) and my actual birthday dinner was hot dog (with COLD wiener), pepsi, and popcorn. Tim got off the hook on that one!

My dear children sent me a beautiful bouquet of orchids. The flower deliverer must have the best job. He brings surprise and big smiles when he delivers. Aren't they just gorgeous?


We went wandering along Orchard Road. It is a destination on tour busses because of the Christmas lights. It is over the moon as only Singapore can do. The whole street dripping with lights. This tree is about 50' tall, and changes colour, red, purple, blue. There is a door at the base where you enter to meet Santa.



Tim at this moment is putting up our Christmas tree. Borrowed from our friend Norm. We are doing a turkey Christmas dinner the 24th. That 's when Tim and Norm and Rod are off. At this point Tim is to be sitting in the Bangkok airport for most of 25th. We go away 20-23 to Langkawi for a beach holiday, so I have ordered a 15 lb turkey, a beef roast, and a ham, all roasted, to be picked up 24th. I just heat it. I have frozen the squash, will do potatoes ahead, went to Marks and Sparks for pudding and sauce, so the meal is done! HA

10 days to go. Stay warm. I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment