Friday, February 8, 2013

a quickie

[There is only one person out there that will understand this. Don't worry if this makes no sense to the rest of you. You are not the "one".] I want to send a quickie, then I will sit down and do a "proper" [ahem, ahem] post about Singapore.

I am still connected to my book club back home. I try to do a Skype my Friday morning of their Thursday night meeting. I have been successful more times than not.

Our selection of books is, as with book clubs, chosen by members, and is a wonderfully eclectic mix. But eclectic as it is, it has been difficult for me to find some of the books here. That is until today.

Most book stores here are a combination of Chinese and English books, and the choice in English is limited. But there is a book store here that I found, and spent some time in today (and spent some $$ as well). It is the most amazing book store I have been in. It is as big as many community libraries in TO. But it is not a lending library. It is a store! That's like going to an City Art Gallery and having the art for sale! I found all the books for next months, except for one. (The Giller prize winner "419".)

It probably sounds silly to you, but that wonderful store has made me feel less disconnected to all back home. To have a good healthy pile of "books to be read" at my bed table gives me warm fuzzies. (Maybe I should not be admitting this! It does sound weird when I write this.) But I am well stocked with books to read that will connect me to my book club friends.

One is the Salmon Rushdie, "Joseph Anton, A memoir". It is as big as the ruddy Bible. Or a dictionary. And my club dared to razz me about my suggesting "Anna Karenina"- TOO LONG. I go away and they pick this Rushdie tome. But I have it, and it will keep me off the streets for a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment