Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Yikes

My last post mentioned the hotel that we stayed at in Cebu. I had not been particularly complimentary, but mentioned Tim had a good dive. The day after my post, I got an email from the hotel, thanking me for mentioning our visit to their hotel, and looking forward to seeing photos of Tim's dive on my next post!!!! May I never forget that everything I say here is public domain. I guess either they do a search of every new customer or flag the name of their hotel (which I am not mentioning because I do not want them back reading here) . It REALLY spooked me.

Maybe next time photos of Cebu! Not today.

Well I am definitely feeling better. I got out for a bike ride! My knees are so limited in ROM that getting on the bike was the hardest part. The next hardest was getting it over to the beach. You have to walk it through an underground tunnel, under the highway. They have a ramp to the side of the steps for the bike. But the bike is heavy, and my arms are so darn weak that it was my limit to walk it up and down the ramp. But it was a good workout. The biking is wonderful. Tim goes with his buddies, and they bike hard, and go 35 k. up to the airport and then back. It is about 2-3 hours. They sweat a bucket and feel very deservedly smug. It is a workout. Tim took me over to the bike route. It is lovely. Flat and along the beach, and goes for k's. We did not go far, my first day in years, but as I work up my arm muscles up for the trek over, it will be great. In spite of the relentless heat and humidity, you make your own breeze, and as long as you are moving it is great. We came back hot and sweaty, and me flushed scarlet, and went swimming to cool off! Life is tough in the fast lane!

My activities have started up.

I went on a tour of the Black and Whites. And what are the black and whites you ask. There is a style of home here, very reminiscent of English homes, white stucco with  black timbers. Many think the B&W here are because of the British occupation of this colony. But it is a very practical way to build here in this climate. Often the houses are on stilts- to keep wild animals at bay (they had no glass in their windows, wanting to grasp any breezes). In the 1800's Singapore had tigers (and still have monkeys!). Also for floods. The tide here at the equator is 3 meters. In a storm, much of the city would flood. It was pretty swampy. The creosoat in the timbers is to keep the bugs out of the timbers. We saw homes of all state of repair. One we went in to, an exec with Shell Oil. Beautiful high ceilings (hot air rises away). Built in the shape of a cross, so each four rooms the arms of the cross, had ventilation on three sides. Saw an artist's home with wonderful artifacts from all over the world. The outdoor rooms, outdoor kitchen, all so practical for here. There are bamboo blinds to pull down for privacy or rain, shutters on all windows, and even sometimes the walls are louvered to be like shutters to let in the breeze. Each room would have a ceiling fan. It was an interesting tour. I love seeing in to people's homes.

I did a tour today of the port. It was not what I expected, but always interesting and with a wonderful group of people. (my FOM (Friends of the Museum) membership). We met downtown, were taken by bus, to the bum boat river tour. I had done this before, but interesting to see it again, having got to know some of what I was seeing. (The guide said the bum is bump, because of their big rubber bumpers.) We then took a bus to one of the ports where the big container ships unload. It is massive. Their are 6 of these ports in Singapore. One downtown on prime real estate is being moved outside the busy expensive downtown area. I had expected more touring of this area, and was a little disappointed. When we look out our balcony, each and every huge ship has a story, each sailor a story. I would have loved to get a bit of that. We then took a cable car ride that shows the port from the air. Again, I had done this before, but fun to do with these women. Saw the port by water, land and air!

Tomorrow I have my first Singapore Symphony concert. I got 4 seats hoping I'd find three people free to join me. Well, Tim is free. I rarely have gone to concerts with him. I am looking forward to that. Nancy is coming. Rod is working. So the fourth is a friend from CAS (Canadian Association Singapore) She is a pianist and studied at U of T and went to the TSO all the time. She was blown away to meet me! HA.















No comments:

Post a Comment