Saturday, September 29, 2012

It's Sunday morning, I wait for a Skype

I can not believe the significance that Skype calls have for me.
My sister is supposed to call in a few minutes. When it happens, I am so happy, and if for some reason it doesn't I am like a shunned lover. I sit and mope, and wait, and mope. Like a high school girl!
To be connected by voice, but more importantly, visually, really helps to feel connected.

I did a yoga retreat for the day yesterday. It was delightful. At a spa right downtown off Orchard Road. It is a very fancy area, and prime real estate. Where all the pucci/gucci malls are. (There are 371 malls in Singapore!). Just a short block off this fancy street, is a home with a beautiful garden. In the garden they have built a huge platform, and it is covered, and has big ceiling fans. We did yoga from 9-5 (with breaks) outdoors in this outdoor room. The teacher said it is as close as you can get to what it is like in Bali doing yoga. It was wonderful. I did an awful lot to this complaining body. I was very smug, thinking I had finally remembered to buy epsom salts. I will have a tub when I get back, to stave off the inevitable stiffness next morning. So I draw a tub, and the plug does not work; I can not hold water in the tub. So no epsom salts soak. And so very stiff this morning. It no doubt will loosen up as I move around today, but at 6 a.m. I limped out of bed to take a Tylenol to start the day.

Went to my first symphony concert last week. I bought 4 tickets for each concert. I don't have that many friends, so it is taking a chance. Tim had the day off so he was coming. Until he saw that he went to work the next day, but at 1 a.m. So he reneged to nap in the evening before going to work at midnight. Rod was working, and Nancy was able to come. I asked a friend, whom I met at a CAS gathering. She is Chinese, from Beijing, studied at the Beijing Conservatory, and then moved to Toronto and studied music at U of T. To fill Tim's last minute change of plans, I called a friend Farzana, a young (28? year old) woman I have befriended in our complex. It was lovely. Such an eclectic gathering of women.
The concert was wonderful. J C Bach Sinfonietta, Mozart Piano Concerto, and Beethoven 4. It was a feast. The hall is beautiful. I would like to search out more about it- architect, acoustician. It is really wonderful. It is quite like Roy Thomson, in that it is round, a circular theatre within a larger circular lobby. But wood. Imagine that - wood, not poured concrete like RT. But wood, which vibrates. A gorgeous wood, the name of which I don't know. The audience is very well trained. They are silent. The magical silent bars in the music are gorgeous, because there is no coughing, rustling of programs or paper. Electric silences. The orchestra is very formal about bowing. No chatting amongst each other, but looking out at the audience and bowing.

We are almost a year from when we first came to Singapore. October 16th or so, 2011. We came for 10 days to check out whether we would move here. When we arrived there was this bird that called out "oh no, oh no". After about 6 months we didn't hear it any more. I wondered why, because I would think if they can live in the climate here in October they can live in this climate all year. Why would they migrate? But It is coming up October and the "oh no" bird is back.

Such mysteries I live with.







No comments:

Post a Comment