Friday, April 13, 2012

the palette gets some colour

 This is going to be a busy while. Such a contrast to the last few months. I have never awakened to an empty dance card. But the last months here, the only thing was chiro, or physio. But now I have yoga almost every day. AND
 I took a day last week to be a tourist. I had an appointment downtown in the morning, and one again late afternoon. So I stayed down for the day. Went to the Singapore Art Museum. As I arrived, they asked if I wanted a tour. I had my private docent for a tour of the museum. It is a charming place. An old Catholic school. Small galleries upstairs and downstairs, and on different levels. Very unusual. But charming. They had a showing of a Chinese artist whom I had seen in October when I was here. When he died he gave away all his paintings to galleries, and SAM got 150 of his paintings. He figured he would leave his properties to his kids, and the paintings were for everybody, the world. He is fascinating. He started out as a traditional Chinese painter of watercolour scrolls. The cultural revolution drove him to Paris, where he was greatly influenced by Impressionism. He then chose to come back to China after the Revolution, and now his style is a mix of tradition and Impressionism. I am going to go back to buy a print of one of his paintings to hang here in the apartment. It's down below, I think called Waterlilies.
Then I went to the Museum, but actually, if the truth be told, only for lunch. And a bride was there getting photos done. They do them ahead of their wedding.
I visited a very old church. The Church of the Good Shepherd. 1854. One of the few old churches here. It was a part of a Catholic School which has since moved. Church of the Holy Infant Jesus. Nobody could pronounce CHIJ so they added MES and it is now called CHIJMES 9Chimes) and is what else, a mall and club area. But they have kept and restored the old building. Love that, go for drinks in the Catholic School.
There was Gregorian chanting coming from somewhere at the back of the altar. It was lovely to spend some time in a traditional old church. Everything seems so new is Singapore.
One of the appointments was to pick up my Chinese visa. I am going to Beijing May 14-18. I think I have said I have friends visiting Singapore, and I will go on with them to Beijing for 4 days. I went to the visa place and finally got my passport back. It is very uncomfortable to give it up. For days. One guy had a handful of passports and paid S$1550 for visas. I paid S$25 for mine.
At the bank the other day, I saw people coming in with bags, yes bags, of money. Piles. Like what would be the size of a briefcase, like 6" X 15" X 10". Just like the gangsters in the movies. I've never seen so much money at once. Coming out of plastic grocery bags or whatever. Wow
Another day, I dragged Tim out as a tourist. I see he is not a big tourist type. After 30 years I learn this. (So I do think a lot of my travel will be on my own.) But we went to the Art-Science Gallery down at Marina Bay. The architect is Moshe Safdie, and the gallery is in the shape of a big BIG lotus flower. The gallery is amazing. There was a Warhol show, that was terrific. Then we went up to the top of the Marina Bay to the big "ship"  
Next week is going to be  good one.
Tuesday I am going with Nancy to Batam. And where is Batam? I have no idea. It is an island just off the shore of Singapore. I think. It is a spa. So we get a ferry in the early morning, and then check in to the spa for the day, and head home that evening. Sounds great.
Then Wednesday I am going to a meet and greet of FOM. I got an email from a friend who lived in Japan for years, and told me about FOM Friends of the Museum. I googled them, filled out an application, mailed it 2 days ago, and got an email today inviting me to this Wed a.m. coffee meeting. Whooppee.
Then Thursday-Sunday Tim and I have a little trip to Krabi, Thailand,to Railay Beach. Google it. It looks picture postcard beautiful. We will see. It has kayaking, snorkelling, and of course rock climbing! No we will not be rock climbing. But may do a cooking class!





No comments:

Post a Comment