Saturday, April 7, 2012

Captain Tim Callahan of Tiger Airways

Dare I say finally.
Finally.
Now to work! Where he has been sitting around, stressing and studying, he now will work like a dog. The prize for getting his ride was a 5:00 a.m. departure the next morning. No celebrating for him! Up at 3:30 to open the office at 4 a.m. for the flight. Then because he is available, another 5 a.m. start the next day. This budget airline sure does work their pilots hard. Long days and lots of them. Nothing like change to realize what you had! Ah Air Canada.
So three months from going on contract January 4 with Tiger, he is on the line. It seemed every bump that could happen to anyone happened to Tim. But all almost forgotten now as we move ahead.
Happy Easter. You wouldn't know it was Easter here. Of course such a small percentage of the population is Christian. I found out by chance on Thursday that the next day was Good Friday! The church we go to is lovely. I must admit I spend the service looking for and counting the Caucasians. 10 today, 20 Friday! It is strange to be in "my" church and be such a minority. The church site is old, but it was rebuilt in 1999. They must have brought the rose window from the older church. It is spectacular. And faces east so basks the church is the glow of the spectacular stained glass. And the entrance doors  are huge, thick carved wood. Otherwise it is quite modern. Built one story up, parking on the street level underneath. I choose to sit near the choir. The choir is excellent. They have an organ, modern, and they pullout all the stops to get an orchestral sound. Think Elgar, Land of Hope And Glory sound. Or it is a American Spiritual sound with the pumping drums and bass. And they have a grand piano, and instruments as well, and about 5 different conductors. I guess they share the load. The congregation belts out the hymns. I always said Catholics were lousy singers, but not these. They sing away. At full volume. All the verses. Often repeating verses.
I am off to a party this afternoon. One of the pilots is having a bbq. You bring something to throw on the barbi and bring whatever you want to drink. Tim will come from the airport- he gets in around 4. I will head over with Nancy. I do look forward to meeting some wives. In the same boat. Husbands happy doing what they are passionate about, and wives trying to find a purpose to their life here in Singapore. I do know my first purpose is to regain my health and my body. But after that.....
And speaking of that. I am still confused as to what all this was and what it still is. I have been doing yoga at classes and at home. And feeling much better for it. What I don't get is that I seem to be back at square one every morning and have to work out the pain over the day. My three physios have had varying diagnosis, and all I know is it is not joint, or muscular. I think it is connective tissue and nerves. But whatever, blah, blah, it is minusculely better, and I can a at least do yoga. How I love it. But oh my, how I have regressed from a few years ago. My goal, to get it back.
I sit on the balcony. It is cool. Maybe 72'. Not much breeze. And thunder rolling away in the west. I hope not for the bbq. I am learning the subtleties of the weather. I have been saying hot and humid. But within that, there are differences. It might be 86 and humid and a breeze. That might feel more comfortable than 78, full sun and no breeze. The breeze is the thing for me. And that it hardly cools down at night. Maybe a degree or two.
Saw this when I was walking home yesterday, in a teak furniture shop. Don't you think it is just perfect? I have just the place for it. What I don't have is the $2400. It's a dresser. The dresser part  about 4' high, with the neck about 8'. Those are all drawers!
Happy Easter

3 comments:

  1. This is fabulous news - go Tim! and go you for having such a worthwhile project as putting your health back together while you're there... hard in a way without your usual healthcare team but easier without the usual distractions, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the dresser - amazing ...Good luck Tim , and fast recovery to your body Jane :-)
    Love
    Zita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane and Tim...I have just started following your blog...fascinating...Here is the "believe it or not" part...Norm Dowd is my first cousin!!...I just met your son Alex today, along with Heidi, at my new friend and neighbour's home, Jill Foster..."Small world" doesn't seem adequate to this coincidence of connections...Look forward to reading more of your blogs, and learning about life in Singapore...Marylou

    ReplyDelete