Thursday, April 19, 2012

I've found it, you can stop looking

I have found paradise. Google Raialay Beach, Krabi, Thailand. There it is. I booked this little getaway, and wondered if it would meet the impression of the web site. Well, it does.
This morning we flew 1 1/2 hours north of Singapore, north over Malaysia, to the south end of Thailand. We are on a spit of land that crosses east to west. Not sure the Sea on the east, but on the west it is the Andaman Sea. Our daughter Elizabeth had travelled India and she said the most beautiful spot she went to was the Andaman Islands. So I wanted to go there. But from Singapore you would fly 6 hours to Chenai and then fly 5 hours back to the Andamans. Or take a 4 hour boat ride off the coast of Thailand. So the next best is to be looking west out over the Andaman Sea at the Islands which are out there somewhere.
Railay Beach is gorgeous. No question we are not in a first world country but a third world country. But the room we have is wonderful. A cottage, gated, high wall, and an outdoor jacuzzi and shower, sitting area, sunbathing beds ( in this heat!!!!) and our room has a day bed, a king bed, a bathroom. We have total privacy and it means we can come and go as we please, if you know what I mean. An outdoor jacuzzi, tonight, after dark, looking up at the same moon and sky that you do, but not the stars, I don't think because we are so far south. The beach is gorgeous, shallow sandy bottom out, and warm, so you can stay in for ever. You can rent kayaks, go rock climbing. Tomorrow Tim plans to book a snorkel trip in the morning. I a massage in the morning and a cooking class in the afternoon. Paradise, right?
The place has all kinds of people staying here. The Aussies who are out baking in the sun, red lobsters, the French in string bikinis, the rock climbers in dreds, the singles primping ,and oh yes, girls taking the most seductive looking pictures of each other in their bikinis at the water's edge. They are a riot to watch. Like a playboy shoot.
We had lunch in the open restaurant. Roof, and open all round. Interesting, the one comment Trip Advisor had negative abut this place is that the service in the restaurant is horrible. It is. I would think with a negative comment like that they would fix it. But we had the most sullen young woman serve us. Tim's pizza came an hour after ordered. but we were in no hurry, so it was fine by us.
I will add photos another time. I am on my iPad and I don't know how to take pictures on my ipad and add them as an attachment yet. Maybe tomorrow. Or when I get home.
Yesterday back in Singapore I went to a meeting of FOM. Friends of Museums. It took my friend in Canada, thank you Pauline, to tell me about FOM Singapore. I contacted them and went to a meet and greet. Already I have been invited to an event next week, a walk through Chinatown, and then A performance of a Chinese Opera. How cool is that! They are a wonderful group of 2000 volunteers committed to exploring and teaching about Asian culture. Often to the Asians. Singaporeans are not museum-goers, and FOM works at getting them out to events. It was very touching. We went around the circle (40 new members) and said a blip. 4 Singaporeans were there and they were humbled by these people who work so hard to educate people about their culture. There were people from all around the world, Calgary, New York, Spain. Great Britain, Japan, China, India, and on. What an opportunity for me to meet with and get to know these folks. They have study-travel, book clubs (4!!), training for docents, Monday morning lectures, films, bulk ticket opportunities to ballet, opera, concerts. And it goes on. It will be wonderful. I now know how to fill my dance card!
Right now, Tim and I are sitting on the bed ( in the AC) on our iPads. He has finally come over to Apple!!!! But how ridiculous is this, we are in paradise, and on our iPads. Yikes. I have to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment