Thursday, March 13, 2014

I am one lucky lady

I had an amazing happening today.

I was going for lunch to my dearest friend's, Kate Porter, my yoga saviour.
I went off to my 'hood mall to buy a gift for her daughter, and flowers for Kate.

I have a wallet that is an almost perfect wallet. A perfect wallet is hard to find. But I have one that takes my money, my key, some lipstick, my passport (always- then I know where it is) and my phone.

I had gone to a store for wee people and bought an outfit for Scout. While they were packaging it, I went down to get flowers.

I paid for the flowers  (mauve tulips, gorgeous!!!).  I then went up stairs to pick up the outfit for not-so-wee Scout.

I heard my name being called over the PA system. Actually I didn't recognize the pronunciation of my name but I heard "from Canada". I immediately knew it was for me. "Canada"

I had gone to pay for the flowers, and my phone slipped out of my wallet, to the floor, phone and a $50 bill. I got them, put them away and went upstairs to pick up the outfit for Scout. What had happened was, the flower lady had gone in to her waste basket drawer, right where I had been standing, and saw a passport inside the drawer of cuttings. My phone and $$ had fallen on the floor, but my passport had fallen in the open slice of the drawer, maybe 1", and had rested on the lip of the drawer.

I run through the scenarios of what could have happened. If she had not gone in to the waste drawer right afetr I left, while I was still in the mall. If I had not noticed until I was at the airport trying to leave for Maldives tomorrow. If... if.... if.  (Actually in brackets I think how Big Brother is everywhere and then I wonder at what point "they" would have found me. I am sure they track everything you do.)

But, I am one lucky lady. I have decided  to carry my phone elsewhere. Two years no problem, but I don't want anything like that again.

The weather has been awful. The driest February since they have kept records. And the windiest. At least if you have dry and HEAT, to have wind, it ameliorates the heat, which is ALWAYS a constant.

All talk is of Malaysia Air. Tim has no opinion,  but is asked constantly. He does say their training is "aviate, navigate, communicate". In that order. So those poor pilots were too busy to let anybody know what they were up to. It is a mystery, but I do feel very close to it, having travelled those skies, and that route, as does Tim, of course. I am thinking all of you are much more familiar with these waters, with all the maps in the newscasts.

Off to the Maldives tomorrow, to a short 2 1/2 hour flight, then a pick up to a Twin Otter on floats, to our little island resort. My camera battery is charged and ready to go. As am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment