Saturday, June 1, 2013

getting excited

Next Wednesday we are going to South Africa to Cape Town and to a safari. It is going to be our 30th wedding anniversary trip. (I have designated that because it is so expensive!) (And I will be in Canada and Tim in Singapore for our actual anniversary.)

I know safaris are expensive, and we have been spoiled with these little long-weekend excursions. But this looks like it will be fantastic.

I once again had to go to google map to see where we were going. Of course the southern tip of Africa. We fly to Johannesburg then to Durban. So we fly to the northern end of S.A. inland to Jburg. Then out to the west coast about halfway down to the tip to Durban. That will take all day. 10 hours to Jburg, but 5 hour time change. Then on to Durban. We will be met at the airport and have a hotel on the coast. The next morning we will be picked up and taken to the airport again, for a little (1 1/2 hr)  flight, in a little plane  to our safari. Google &beyond Phinda Vlei. Then you will know as much as me about what we will be doing. We will be there 4 nights. They have a safari early morning (cold) back for breakfast, and another safari at dusk (cool again) and back for dinner. Mid day warms up considerably. We have our own plunge pool at our private house. (Apparently elephants are known to come and drink!) There are only 6 villas on the property so a small group for the outings. I believe they have afternoon science stuff to do.

We will then fly to Durban and fly to Port Elizabeth, about 1/3 the way down to Cape Town. 2 nights there, with lots to see. Wine country, gorgeous orchards, and the rest I will know better in a few days. Then we drive to Cape Town and snoop around there. They say it is a great city, and the wine country is fabulous. I will let you know.

It is exciting to think we will wear socks and sweater, and be cool. We even have a fireplace in our cabin! The simple pleasures!

We have a friend of Elizabeth's visiting with us- Askan. A friend from Children's Aid Foundation days. He is a lovely guy. We took him to the new aquarium. It is huge and fantastic. As only Singapore can do. Biggest in the world. But of course. It just opened a few weeks ago.

The aquarium has over 100,000 marine animals. The glass walls are vast (again they have one that is the biggest piece of glass in the world. It was breathtaking. The colours, the mesmerizing movement, the coral dancing, They have a touching pool, where children, supervised, can touch. I will attach way too many photos, some videos that I hope open for you. I was blown away. It was gorgeous.

There was a brochure there from Mother's Day. I guess they don't get the significance of some things in English, but an ad for something for Mommy Dearest. All I can see is that movie with Bette Davis.
In the brochure was an article on Susur Lee. He has a restaurant here, but it was a charming article about him, about in Toronto, (He credits his long ponytail to his mother. She had the adage hair is money.

The SSO sent out their brochure for next year. I have never seen such a luxurious brochure. 80 pages of glossy photos. Even lots of the musicians. Their programming looks fantastic. Mahler 1, Verdi Te Deum, Bach St John Passion, R Strauss Heldenleben, Don Juan, Symphonia Domestica, Schumann 1st and 2nd Symphonies, Shostakovich 5. I could go on and on. I simply want to go to them all. But I want to keep myself free to travel.

Oh such difficult decisions. Like is tough sometimes.
















No comments:

Post a Comment