Friday, February 14, 2014

I want to share my misery

I don't really think I will get any sympathy from my Canadian friends on this one! but in Singapore I might get some.
I am sitting in my hotel room in the mid afternoon. I have on ski long underwear, a ski turtle neck, a wool cashmere turtle neck, a polar fleece jacket and a lined NorthFace windbreaker. Leggings under my jeans. Socks  and shoes.
We travelled overnight on the train from Hanoi north 9 hours to the Chinese border. The train was awful. Well not awful, but an adventure. We had the 4 bed sleeper to ourselves. It was cold and pretty spare. I slept with all my clothes on but did kick off my sneakers. Under a comforter. Our room seemed to be right over a very noisy party of the train. The volume was very high. I thought there was no way I would sleep. But I did!
The train had only a squatter toilet, of course no t.p. I was so dreading getting up in the night and balancing in the moving train over the squatter. I slept throughout the night and  did not use it in the a.m.!
I got 7 hours of sleep.
We were met at the train station and taken to a restaurant for breakfast. At 6 a.m. Big bowl of chicken noodle soup and ginger tea with honey. Delicious!
Off in a car to the mountains. Two and a half hours later to a market of the local hill tribe- h'mong. I have unbelievable photos, but I am writing on my iPad and don't know how to get photos on to the blog from the iPad. So next posting.
The women are dressed in layers of heavily embroidered pieces - leggings, pants, skirt, vest, collar, apron, tie,  hat, scarf,. They all look like heavily embroidered Michelin men in the most vibrant of colors. Children in the same colors, strapped on backs.
They were selling water buffalo, pigs, horses, puppies, Veggies, fruit, hardware. You name it.
I was itching to buy some things but our guide told us to wait til tomorrow, the things will be much better. I can't wait.
We are in our hotel room, in the only hotel intown. I feel I am in the country in China a half century ago. The room is freezing. They have brought in a space heater, but I am in layers, and gloves off to type, but my fingers  are freezing. The bed is like a board, we switched rooms because the first one was dirty. So we wait for this one to heat up. I think hell has frozen over and it will never get warm.
We are off this afternoon to see another market. And tomorrow the really good one.
So do I get any sympathy for being so cold? I can't wait to get to Singapore and be warm. Sleep without socks. Put away the ski long underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment