Tuesday, June 12, 2012

where to start

It has been busy and there are so many things to tell you about.
We just got back from yet another holiday. 5 days to Thailand. Our friend Norm was going to sail Phuket to Krabi, we were to fly to Krabi and sail back with him. But we got an email, "high winds meet me in Phuket" so we changed our flights and flew to Phuket. Norm met us at the airport and we went to his boat, moored at a marina in Palong Bay. His son and fiancee were there. The winds were too high to sail, and it was pouring buckets ( ah this is what they mean by monsoon season), so we went in to town to a movie. Guys' choice, Men in Blue, but in such a rain. The town was flooded. I do not exaggerate - up to the door of the car. I was reminded that the terrible floods of Thailand last year in December started with the rains in the monsoon season.
Well, it sure was wet. Back on the boat, big winds while tied up over night. The next morning, although overcast, in fact raining, we set out!!!! I was not happy, but was silent. I like blue sky to fly in little airplanes, and blue sky to go sailing in the big waters of the Indian Ocean. YIKES!
So we set off, with blustery rain, and wind, and I was not really enjoying it. Many hours (4?) later we anchored, sort of out of the wind. And had dinner and spent the night anchored. And I actually slept well. I kept myself pumped with gravol. I did not want to find out if I was sea sick.
So next morning was sunny and lovely. But bloody windy again. So we sailed back to Phuket. 4 hours. At about 45 degrees and going 32 knots. That ladies and gentlemen, is VERY fast for a 52' boat. Over  so far, the leeward railings were under water. I was single-handedly trying to level the boat. I was exhausted. But after about 2 hours of squealing in fright, (damn I am a squealer) I got used to it and actually loved it. Tim was in heaven, he was sailing. Tight in to the wind. It really was fun. (Finally)



We then went to an unbelievable hotel for 2 nights. Indigo Pearl- google it- it is fantastic. Luxurious, wonderful to have the shower, the gorgeous sheets on the king size bed, after the boat, and it really was beautifully decorated. Celebrating the tin mines which were the industry of Phuket, until the tin market fell out. And tourism took hold. Found art made of metal, light fixtures made for them, with Indigo glass and iron/tin. The toilet paper holder was a giant nut and bolt! Swimming pools, open wall-less dining rooms and lobby.
We had a massage together. Tim had a woman massage therapist, I had a lady-boy! Introduced to me as "his name, er, her name is Tony) At one point they got up on the massage table and straddled us,  to work on our spine. Tim's lady started to laugh, and my lady-boy started to giggle too. I said Tim, they are laughing at us. It was that she saw herself in the mirror, straddling Tim and found it funny. HA.
We went to one of their restaurants for dinner. You need a map to find your way around the place, and our map reading took us to a wharf and a little lake, across from which there was this floating building, with dry ice coming out from under, all lit in blue. It was surreal. Then a raft came across on a rope to pick us up and take us over to the restaurant across the away. It was fabulous. It actually reminded me of the Tiki Room at Ports of Call in TO  years ago!
I can't do this little trip justice. I was too busy righting the boat to take pictures, and too busy gawking at the hotel to take pictures. Sorry.










No comments:

Post a Comment