Monday, February 27, 2012

a short one

I am going to do much shorter entries. That way I stay in touch, and it is easier on my wrists. I am really doing so little that I have been saving up for an entry. But this way there is contact without undo strain on my wrists.
 I think I have mentioned that I have no colour. I really don't get it. I don't sit in the sun, too hot for that. But I have gone swimming in the noon day full sun. I walk everywhere, wearing only sandals. At home, in the summer, although I do not tan, my feet get brown. I have no tan on my feet. I think I have said we are 85 miles from the equator. If I were in the pool in Florida for a half an hour at noon I would get burned. It was suggested by a friend the reason is twofold. The air is so humid, that the sun's rays have more density to pass through. The other reason is the atmosphere is thicker near the equator. We all know about the thin atmosphere at the two poles and the ramifications to the polar ice. So it is thicker here. Hence, less effect of the sun. That is not to say if I went out for the day to a sunny place I would not cover myself in suncream. But day to day exposure does not seem to burn.
You can pick out the Aussie's though. They are so brown. I think they live out in the sun. I saw a couple downtown that were lobster red. That is uncommon. Excluding the Aussies you don't see a lot of colour. But I can only think this couple was out on a boat on the water and they got scalded.
We seem to have had more rain recently. The days are grey, and in the afternoon, rain like a summer rain. Not a summer storm, but an all day rain. I wear only rubber sandals, so I don't care if I am caught out. And when I get wet, it is so warm, that it is not uncomfortable. I might not even put up my umbrella. And for some reason, you dry quickly.
There's lots I don't get. I dry quickly. My laundry does not. We had thunder the other day like I have never heard before. We certainly get the big tall storm clouds and the cracks of thunder and lightening. But this was different.  A low constant sound, really like a jet, lasting about 5 seconds. Tim was here. He's never heard anything like it before, either. The weather here is different to the northern hemisphere. We have lots to learn.
I said at the top, that I seem to do so little. I heard from a friend about how exotic our life was here. Interesting. I think I am doing so little. But it is not dealing with winter. Is that exotic? In fact, I miss, when I get up in the morning, wondering what kind of a day it will be. I get up, and I know. Hot, and humid. The variables are if there is a breeze, and if there is sun or cloud. But there is a sameness. Don't complain of changing weather. I yearn for it. Oh, to dig out a sweater, or socks and shoes. I wonder if my clothes will last. Being here is like 8 summers. Ours being three months, and this being continuous, my clothes will have a work out like 8 summers. It is very difficult to shop here. The sizes are VERY small. And I take a VERY large in Asian sizes.
Enough for now. Off to ice. Again

No comments:

Post a Comment